Home > General forums > New players and tutorials > Topic you're not logged : LOGIN

Posted by Sinnie 

Posted September 08, 2010 01:03AM
Currently out-of-date for recent releases as many new quests have been added. I will update this when my next world starts and I can provide information in the context of how developed the player will be.

This thread will allow you to plan ahead to complete the quests and provide advice on how to complete them. The aim of this guide is to allow you to complete 1 quest per fight (thus completing them in the maximum possible time). I assure you that it is possible

Bear in mind that some quests will need ideal NPC compositions in order for you to complete the quest as quickly as possible. Planning ahead is vital.

Remember: You must win the fight to complete the quest, always
Use the battle calculator: [mmhk.jactari.info]

Quest descriptions obtained from Hellsworn

1) Select a zone to free and organize your army so that at least one of your stacks gains a combat bonus against an enemy stack.

- This is the most basic element of success in fighting, it wants you to obtain the 50% unit type bonus by using archers against infantry, infantry against cavalry or cavalry against archers. You should be doing this in every fight.

2) Combat system: Select a zone to free and organize your army into at least three stacks. Don't forget to look at the combat report so you can learn from it. [Reward T2]

- This is very simple to achieve. Pick any NPC square and organise your army to beat them. If you only have 1 or 2 stacks participating, then create a 3rd stack of 1 Tier 1 unit and voila, completed.

3) Knowing your units: Select a zone to free and organize your army so that one of your stacks wins a round with just enough force (10% error margin). [Reward T3]

This quest is asking you to use one stack of units to win a round of combat so that the remaining units at the end of that one round have no more than 10% of the combat power that they had at the start of that one round. So, if you send 1,000 army power of archers against a stack of infantry, at the end of the round, you must have less than 100 army power of archers left (i.e. 1 archer). This does not include for the 50% unit type bonus, but may include hero bonuses. So an 80 power unit would remain 80, and not 120 (from the 50% bonus).

Using Tier 1 or 2 units is essential. Because Tier 3 units often have an individual power greater than 10% of the entire stack - due to you having fewer of them.

You want to find a large stack of enemy units so that you can send a large force of Tier 1 or 2 units and end that one round with only a few units alive, thus easily completing the quest.

4) Smiting your enemies: Select a zone to free, organize your army so that at least one of your units overrun at least one enemy unit. Be victorious! [Reward T1 and T3]

- To score an overrun your stack must benefit from a large enough bonus that the enemy stacks power is less than that bonus. So, if you have 1,000 power of archers against 400 power of cavalry, your bonus of 500 gives 1,500 power Vs 400.

1,500 - 400 = 1,100. This does not deplete the bonus of 500 gained, thus, no units are killed and you have overrun your enemy. The best way to achieve this is to either:

- Pick an NPC square which has a small stack in it, then send a massive force of units in one stack that will benefit from the 50% bonus
- Pick a stack within an NPC army and use one of your stacks to severely weaken it, then use a second stack who have the 50% bonus to overrun them

5) Hero influence on combat: Select a zone to free, a hero with at least 6 in attack, and an army, then win the combat. [Reward T1 & T3]

- This requires you to have planned ahead. If you are using one hero to fight NPC's and you are completing one quest per fight, then only that hero will be level 3 at this point (may need to scout once or twice). The only way for a level 3 hero to have 6 attack is to have the 'fanatic attack' trait. You will need to have one of these heroes, or you will have to wait and level up a hero to 5 or 6.

6) Losses after combat: Select a zone to free, and organize your army so that at least one of your stacks is defeated. [Reward T2 and T3]

- Simple, and guaranteed to happen in almost any fight.

7) Maximizing Experience: Select a zone to free and gain a victory that modifies your honor by at least 30%. [Reward T4]

- Make use of the battle calculator; this will tell you your honour percentage and prevent you from making a mistake. You will need to select an ideal NPC square. You want the enemy army size to be large enough, and also to contain several stacks of the same unit type - allowing you to send one, smaller stack and deal correspondingly more damage, as you will benefit from the 50% bonus as much as possible. 30% isn't too hard to achieve, but you won't be able to do it with just any random NPC square

8) Creature characteristics: Select a zone to free, organize your army and try to obtain a crushing victory. [Reward T2 and T4] (crushing victory = major victory)

- Victory types consist of 2 criteria: The smaller the force you use, the better and the fewer losses you incur the better. To do this, it is similar to the previous quest, you want an enemy that you can utilise one stack with the 50% bonus as much as possible, but you also need to consider your losses. Overrunning much of the enemy army can compensate for the larger force needed or using a smaller force and barely winning can result in the losses being small enough. You have to find the right NPC square and the right army composition. If you plan to overrun, then fighting an army of low tier units is best.

Another tip to mimise losses (which is refferring to the amount disbanded at the end of the fight, not those lost in combat): You lose 30% of all routed troops. Thus, 6 units per stack will result in 1 unit routed. This is the maximum stack size to result in only 1 routing. 9=2, 12=3 etc.. Using lots of smaller stacks to weaken an enemy and suffering fewer losses can make a big difference. It is common to see armies consisting of 6,6,6,6,12,9

9) Using the power of Magic: Select a zone to free, select a hero with a magic characteristic and magic proffesion

- Again, some planning needed. You will only have 2 or 3 heroes at this point. Make sure one of them has magic stats and has learnt a magic class and that you have a magic guild. Don't forget, we're only on day 2 or 3 here, you will need it built very early. The spell must also affect the enemy in some way (or yourself), in other words, reducing the defense of the non-existent enemy hero will not work.

10)Select a zone to free, and a hero with a high attack value, and win the combat with at least one heroic overrun.

- This is more complicated than the previous overrun quest, it wants you to overrun one enemy stack using a stack of the same type (infantry vs infantry). The theory being that the bonus from your hero's stats is high enough (which it won't be).

But it is easier than you think. Select your target stack; you want them to be the same type as your strongest stack. Let's say you are using your large infantry stack to overrun an enemy infantry stack, now, use a stack of archers to weaken the infantry so they have only 1 or 2 units left, then use the massive infantry stack to effect an overrun. Your target will want to be Tier 1 or 2 (maybe 3) as you want to leave as little power alive as possible - 1 Tier 1 = 80, but 1 tier 4 = 600.

11) Use a magic object: Equip one of your heroes with an object that gives a bonus to your creatures or spells, then select a zone to free and win the combat. [Reward T5]

- Simply a game of luck. Often I have just got an artifiact capable of completing the quest. This round, I got 4 useless ones and was stuck for days. This quest is the most vital as those Tier 5 units will make everything so much easier. Remember, the artifiact must have an active effect in that fight (increasing attack/magic stats - possibly defense works too, or buffing your magic). It is unclear exactly what effects count, a defense buffing artifiact might count, an artifiact buffing level 3 spells (that you don't have) might count.

Pillage a neighbour

Coming soon.

Attack a neighbour

Coming soon.

Intercept a halt

Coming soon.

Break a siege

Coming soon.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 04:06PM by Sinnie.
Posted September 09, 2010 10:45AM
Can we sticky these sorts of threads? or put them in a sub-forum?
It will make it easier than searching through all the threads.
Posted September 09, 2010 11:55AM
Sinnie
Not sure how useful anyone will find this, but, here is how to do all the combat related quests in the fastest possible time (i.e one per fight). I've stolen the list from Hellsworn - Thankyou.
And I've stolen most of it from Dacarian, but added some info myself =P

[F5] is your friend!

Posted September 09, 2010 02:00PM
Outstanding is the one appearing after lvl 10.
Posted September 09, 2010 02:48PM
I decided not to put Outstanding on it because it's probably the hardest to do; but applies the same principle as the major victory.

Plus, I don't want to give away all the answers.

Posted September 09, 2010 03:19PM
I'm stuck on the outstanding one. I don't know if I'm lacking higher level troops or what but whatever combination I try with different enimies on [mmhk.jactari.info] never seems to work
Posted September 09, 2010 03:24PM
Your link takes me to a blank calculator. You need to get a permalink to that battle and post that.

Posted September 09, 2010 03:57PM
oh right, I just meant to show what I was using.
Here's one: [mmhk.jactari.info]

Although I only have 2 griffins at the moment. (and I have more footmen and marksmen, I was just using the minimum).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2010 03:58PM by Sandmonkey.
Posted September 09, 2010 04:05PM
Do you have any squares that don't have a T7 (titan) in them?

Posted September 09, 2010 04:16PM
You will probably never do Outstanding with this kin of enemies... You need to look for same type enemies or max two types... and no T7 super soldiers in them... Anyway, just look for smthink like infantry+archer+archer, so best strategy is to leave a few infantry alive and make your horses to hit those archer stacks... ofc best is to find same type all stacks and that would be easy Outstanding...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2010 04:19PM by Nywera.
Posted September 09, 2010 04:21PM
And train fighting skills on your hero or you will have a very very hard time to do it.

[F5] is your friend!
Posted September 09, 2010 04:23PM
Aha, I found one that will work. Although I need 40 footmen

[mmhk.jactari.info]

gonna have to wait a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2010 04:24PM by Sandmonkey.

Posted September 09, 2010 07:24PM
If you try less, you can do it with 34 footmens or 128 Conscripts ;) But search for smaller enemies/groups, try other posibilities... you will find them I think... Use two golden rules:
1. each 6th soldier dies, so if have powerful troops, beter try not send more then 6, couse loses will make your fight lower in Honor=no outstanding.
2. Try leaving some enemy soldiers for your next stack wich will overrun them and you will have to send less troops wich = big honor.

Try and try diferent soldier numbers and stack for ~2h, till you get the whole system of fights here...

GL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2010 07:26PM by Nywera.
Posted September 09, 2010 07:59PM
Nywera
1. each 6th soldier dies
I wouldn't quite put it that way. After the 6 first units in a stack it turns into "each 3rd/4th unit dies".
"of all stack sizes, a stack of 6 units will have the least % units lost when totally disbanded"
you would only lose 16.7% of your units, not 30%, simply because it's rounded down.

numbers to remember for minimizing losses after 6 is 9/13/16/19/23/26.... etc

the 2nd rule is spot on though :P

[F5] is your friend!

Posted September 09, 2010 09:33PM
Thanks for correcting me "Hellsworn". I didn't realized after 6+ the loss is bigger... couse always tried to put my T4 at 6 or 9...
Posted September 10, 2010 05:46AM
If you can't seem to be able to get an outstanding victory whatever you do, then there is a way around that. When the n00b protection is out, you can ask a neighbour to siege you with 7 stacks with 1 imp (or something similar) in each. You can then break that siege with your hero and an army of 1 stack of 1 familiar (or something similar). Congratz, you have then got your first legendary victory and succeeded with the quest ;)

It does not need to be a siege, it can be a halt or you can attack his city while he has moved the rest of his troops out of the way. Don't forget to take hero characteristics, artifacts and forts into account.
Posted September 10, 2010 12:55PM
Nywera
If you try less, you can do it with 34 footmens
How would that work??

I mean, if I had the men over several stacks, wouldn't they lose because they have less power?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 12:56PM by Sandmonkey.

Posted September 10, 2010 06:27PM
Sandmonkey
Nywera
If you try less, you can do it with 34 footmens
How would that work??

I mean, if I had the men over several stacks, wouldn't they lose because they have less power?

I just decreased number of your troops in your provided link and saw you can make outstanding with just 34... How could you miss such a think...
Posted September 11, 2010 09:26AM
Shit, I'm an idiot. thanks for pointing that out.

Posted September 11, 2010 05:16PM
Sandmonkey
Shit, I'm an idiot. thanks for pointing that out.

Np and no need to be so rude to yourself^^ We all make mistakes :>

And one more suggestion: always check the power of NPC army and simulator npc army, couse lots of ppl makes mistakes by inputing soldiers in simulator... even if they recheck it x10 times... me too..., So if you check Power of enemy, you can't make mistakes ;) wich can cost a lot...
Posted September 11, 2010 10:23PM
Everyone should take the time to install Greasemonkey in firefox and then add the Jactari calc script.

It allows you to just press 1(one) button and a new window is opened with a jactari fight simulator with all your hero skills and army and enemy army (button only works when fight window is opened).

It's like clicking "fight" but you get to see the outcome instantly without sending your hero.

two things to remember though:
- the fight calculator sometimes arranges your stacks in the wrong order
- when using two spells it can act wierd depending on your Arcane Master skill.

[F5] is your friend!

Posted September 12, 2010 02:58PM
For me doesn't run. I always have to copy the data manually
Firefox 3.5.11
Posted September 12, 2010 05:09PM
Firefox 3.6.9 for me.
should work anyway afaik.

You're doin it wrong ;)

[F5] is your friend!
Posted September 12, 2010 06:16PM
Thanks Hellsworn, This could be a bit of a time saver.

Posted September 12, 2010 06:40PM
Hellsworn

You're doin it wrong ;)

No I'm not doing it wrong, I've tested several things on 2 computers, but doesn't run.
It should be: select hero, put army, select npc, be on battle frame and click jactari button.
I will move to 3.6 then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2010 06:42PM by Elder.
Posted September 12, 2010 07:35PM
Elder
I will move to 3.6 then.
Good idea.

How come you haven't updated earlier btw? Isn't that even done automatically? :S

[F5] is your friend!
Posted September 13, 2010 06:52AM
How exactly does this work. I have 3.6.9, and have installed Greasemonkey and the Jactari script - but what's meant to happen now? I have the greasemonkey icon bottom right showing enabled, and when I'm in HOMMK the HOMMK script is ticked - but which is the single button I'm meant to press?
Posted September 13, 2010 09:32AM
Select a zone you wish to free and once the battle screen comes up click the jactari link on the HOMMK user script. This link only work when you are on the battle screen.
Posted September 13, 2010 10:23AM
Ah yes - I managed to miss the big box top left ! And when you click on the Jactari button it opens up a new copy of the Fight Simulator with the opponents troops and your hero and troops already there.
This is really helpful.

Posted September 13, 2010 11:40AM
Hellsworn
Elder
I will move to 3.6 then.
Good idea.

How come you haven't updated earlier btw? Isn't that even done automatically? :S
I rejected on the past a couple times and then swap to offer me superior 3.5.X

With 3.6.9 it works :)